Monday, March 10, 2008

Bird Lovers & Sheet Music Flowers!

Hi all! Lisa Z. posting this week with some new samples from the brand new Bird Lover's set. I'm not sure if Sandy mentioned this or not, but the design team will all be taking turns posting samples here on the Crafty Secrets blog each week. You'll get tips and tricks straight from the designers, and hopefully get fresh inspiration to jump start your creativity! Sandy has received shipments of a couple of the new sets (Bird Lovers, Flourishes & Sweet Kids), so I thought I'd post some samples using the new sets that are in stock as we speak. Sandy will be giving updates as new sets arrive.

When I saw the wonderful images of the birds in this set, what came to mind was chirping, music, spring, and the martins that arrive at my family's lake home when the weather starts to warm up. I chose this yellow floral paper from Crafty's "Radiant" paper pad for the background of this bird card because it seemed light and springy to me. I love that the stamps in this set are so interactive...you can stamp any number of different things in the nest by "masking" off the bird or egg images with a post it note, and stamping the nest over the top of the mask.

To create the mask, stamp your images on your white cardstock first, then stamp it onto a post-it note, and cut the image out. Here I'm using the small eggs from this set.








Cut the 2 post-it note eggs out, and place them over the top of your stamped eggs.







Position the nest over the top of the 2 eggs, and stamp over the top of the post-it notes.







Pull off the post-it notes, and your nest now has 2 perfect little eggs in it!! Color them with whatever you are comfortable using; colored pencils, markers, or a waterpen and inks.





I also wanted to add a musical element to this card, so I used my Sizzix flower dies to punch flowers out of some flea-market sheet music that I bought on a junking trip. Keep your eyes peeled for damaged old sheet music at garage and estate sales...it's usually cheap and can add a fun touch to your cards! No sheet music? Crafty's "Radiant" paper pad has 2 pages of music notes to cut out. Or check out Crafty's "Altered Art" set, and stamp your own music!
Look at the great sentiments that come with this set! It looks like the birds are singing up a storm here! I used Copic markers to color in the birds, and then watercolored the sky with an aquapen and sky blue ink.









Make sure to use all the great little elements in this set...the feathers make a great border for inside your cards!




I got tricky with the ribbon on this card....I cut it at the card closure so it looks like it's holding the card shut. I glued it onto the card so that the card opens and without sliding the ribbon off.


Hope you have a wonderful week full of chirping birds!

Lisa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are both beautiful! I love the shabby vintage look and the musical touches.

M!ssPr!ssy said...

When are the sets going to be available on your website for purchase? I've been waiting and waiting...

Darlene said...

LOVE your cards! I'm really enjoying both of my bird sets, when I have enough time to play! I did a card today using your masking idea . . . thanks!!! Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration!!! Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk)

Anonymous said...

These books look wonderful! The vintage look is great!

Anonymous said...

I just adore your products! They remind me of my childhood and make me feel like I'm a young girl back home with my siblings and parents.
My friends and I have fun giggling and reminiscing when working with your various items. Keep them coming....robin