Monday, September 16, 2013

Little Boxes, Little Boxes: Guest Blogger Kathy Clement





Good morning all.  It's Kathy Clement from Kathy by Design here, filling in for Sandy, who is still enjoying a romantic anniversary trip to France and Spain.  She'll be home soon, but while she's gone I thought I would pop in here and share a few photos and a tutorial for a fun project I've been working on this week. 

I love little boxes.  There's something wonderful about a small box, wrapped with a ribbon or decorated for gifting that just makes my heart happy.  I keep a small pad of sticky notes next to my desk so that I can jot down ideas or lists while I'm working.  I also use them for masking off on a project.  But I don't like it when the edges of the notes get all curled up and ratty looking.  So, the perfect solution is to keep them in a box.  

I made two boxes using two different paper sources. For this box
I printed my own double sided paper using the Creating with Vintage Halloween CDI was able to choose a weight of paper that worked perfectly for making a little box.  Here's the inside:
I was happy to find so many papers and images on the Halloween CD that would work well for general fall/autumn projects as well as papers and images that are specific to the Halloween holiday.  Versatility is a good thing!

The second box I created was made from Sew Nice Creative Scraps.  The paper these scraps are printed on is absolutely perfect for making these little boxes!




Sandy has all these wonderful Creative Scraps on sale for just $1.95, so now is a good time to stock up on them.  I think these little boxes would be fabulous as hostess gifts during the holidays, teacher appreciation gifts (teachers love sticky notes!) and great to have on hand for little last minute gifts.  They are super cute, quick to make, and unique.  I think people really appreciate a hand made gift, don't you?

So, here's the tutorial, in pictures with text:
  
If you are printing your papers, as I did for the first box, just select the pattern you want, and run a good heavy weight cardstock through your printer.(I use Stampin' Up because it is just the right weight, but you can use whatever you have on hand.)  Flip that paper over, and run it through the printer a second time with the pattern you wish to use for the inside of the box.   You will need two 6 1/8" squares: one for the top, one for the bottom.

If you are using the Creative Scraps, you can get both 61/8" squares from the same sheet!


 
 Score both squares at 1 1/2" on all four sides. Crease with a bone folder.


Box Base: Cut each of the four corners from the base of the score line to where it intersects with the box, as shown. Use a strong white glue on each of the four tabs.


 Fold these tabs in and behind the middle section on each side. 

Try to line them up straight with your scored lines.  This will form your box base.  Use clips or clothespins to hold in place until the glue dries.
For the box TOP:  Cut one side of your square from the score line to where it intersects with the box, just as you did before.  On the opposite side, cut the two 1 1/2" squares completely away, leaving only the larger middle flap intact.  It should look like this:
Use a corner rounder on each back corner, if desired.  This is not necessary, but it does give the box a more finished look.  Once you've rounded your corners, add the white glue to the middle flap and attach it to the back of your box base.  This forms the hinge for your little box.
Now that your box is complete, you can simple decorate it and fill it with sticky notes, chocolates, sewing notions, or whatever gift you choose.


I used another printed paper from the Halloween CD to die cut my flower on this box, and then I cut out and added images from my Seasonal Image and Journal Notes Booklet The butterfly had already been cut out and was in my folder, but I think it came from the Altered Fairies Creative ScrapsI hand cut the leaves, scrunched them up and inked the edges a little, then treated the entire top and sides of the box with Studio Multi Matte Medium so that it would be water resistant.  I did not have any problems with the ink running on my printed papers, because I heat set the ink with my heat gun before working with it.  This works really well for me.

So there you have it.  Cute little boxes, all ready to fill and give as gifts!  Don't forget to make one for yourself so you don't feel left out!  The box I made with the Creative Scraps only took about 20 minutes to make from start to finish because the paper was already decorated.  All I had to do was add a frame and a couple little embellishments. 


 Thanks for stopping by!  Be sure to visit the other gals on the team so you can see what they've been up to.  They always have great ideas for using your Crafty Secrets goodies.  Wishing you joy and creativity,

Kathy...filling in for Sandy...who will be home soon and crafting with a French accent!  LOL

 
Links to design team blogs:








 Elizabeth Lincoln

















 

10 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW! These are AWESOME Kathy and I can't wait to give them a try for myself. Looks like a PERFECT item for my upcoming craft shows!! Thanks for inspiration and a wonderful tutorial!
Have a FABULOUS WEEK! Can't wait to hear Sandy's new accent! LOL!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Hi, Dar....thanks for the sweet comment. I think you will be thrilled at how easy these are to make. And you wouldn't have to put a sticky note inside...you could use chocolates or peppermint candies or tea bags. Lots of possibilities and fun to make. Have a fabulous Monday!

Vicki Chrisman said...

Super CUTE little boxes Kath! Love em! and great tutorial! These would be so fun to fill with little candies ect.. you are right!

Diane said...

Very pretty, and they look like lots of creative FUN!!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Thanks, Vic and Diane. I think you will be pleased with how easy they are to make...really very fast! And you fill them with so many fun things. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

What an awesome tutorial Kathy. It's perfect that you did a post-it-note box as I was going to do a template for post-it-notes and show how you can print on them. I will do it when I get home and link to you. Thanks for posing while I'm away. We had a great trip and are on our way home but stuck in airport with a flight delay.

Sandy

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Hi, Sandy...glad you had such a good trip. Hope you get home safe and sound. The boxes are so fun to make, and can hold so much more than just sticky notes. The Creative Scraps are the perfect weight for making them, too. Talk with you soon!

The Paper Toile said...

So creative! Thank you for sharing!

Cynthia said...

Wow, really fun gift boxes, Kathy!

Anonymous said...

Love these! So pretty and useful for so many things. Great job! ncguygirl